Sunday, September 16, 2012

Misadventures in Paradise

Well for those of you who aren't aware of current events in my life, I am finally back in Florida, where I should have never left in the first place.  I went to meet Kerry in Atlanta that turned into the biggest fiasco the world has ever known.  Anyhow, I went up there ended up getting jumped by 3 people that got my money, my ID, and almost lost my car.  It was the most terrifying experience of my life and I never felt so alone.  I did however make a remarkable discovery about myself and the people I counted as my friends.  When push came to shove people only care about themselves and what they can get out of you.

If it wasn't for a special person named Tony Aliguan who actually took the time to look after me and made sure that I was safe.  He risked his life and well-being to make sure that I was taken care of. I owe him my life many times over, he made sure that I went to the hospital when it looked pretty scary for me. I had become severely dehydrated, my kidney's failed and I was running on empty.  Tony made sure that I was fed, clothed and was safe.  I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I cannot tell you how lucky I was to have Tony by my side helping through this ordeal.

I do know that I don't plan on going back to Atlanta, and if I do, it will be under totally different circumstances.  See I went as a surprise, I didn't tell a lot of people my plans, so when tragedy struck and I lost everything I didn't know who to turn too, I had no numbers and I was trapped.  Finally, a break came when I went to the Buckhead Christian Ministries and they allowed me the use of the computer. I was then able to access my gmail account and my telephone numbers. I got a hold of my dad and he was able to wire me money to make it home.  I had already spent the night in the hospital and knew that I was seriously sick, so the best thing for me to do was get in my car as soon as I got the money and head home.  Which is what I did. Unfortunately, when I left, I didn't do it gracefully or with tact! I was in a hurry, I didn't take the time to express my thanks to Tony or any of the few others that had helped me out while I was stuck on the streets of Atlanta for 8 days. So here is my opportunity to express how I felt and my feelings toward that situation.

I want to Thank the following people for sticking by me through everything, for taking my calls and listening to my whining and nagging. My bitching and belly-aching. I want to thank Gerard Alexander for sleeping in my car with me and making sure that I was safe my entire stay, Tony, thank you for keeping your promise and making sure that I was fed, taken care of and safe the entire time. Merger, for being there and talking to me when I was desperate and alone with no one to turn too.  To Scotty for offering to loan me the money to make the trip home and making sure that I was well taken care of by Tony and Gerard, for checking in with me every couple of days to make sure I was eating and well rested. If it wasn't for all of you pulling together and taking care of me I would have died on that lonely street.

For those of you who took advantage of my situation, pushed me down and tried to hold me down, I feel sorry for you because I will tell you what Karma is a bitch and what comes around goes around.  For those of you who stole my money and my cell phone, I know who you are and believe me I will be coming back at you when you least expect it. Beware the wrath of a queen scorned.  I am not a vindictive person but I do get back at those that hurt me on purpose.  For those of you who were there and turned your back on me, I don't count you as my friends anymore, and you know who you are.  You are the ones who got all the voice mails and messages from me but couldn't be bothered to answer the phone or even offer me a word of advice.

Thanks to the Buckhead Christian Ministries for the fabulous work that you are doing for the homeless and destitute people of Atlanta, you are a beacon of light in a darkness that could have swallowed a person whole and left them to die.  I appreciate the food, the clothing and the supportive talks that you gave me when I needed the faith and encouragement to keep on going.

As for my adventures, I can honestly say, that I steered myself clear of the drugs, the misdirection that was thrown in my path.  I tried very hard to keep my dignity and head held high. I know that I failed at times, and that I complained about how I felt awful the entire time I was there. I know it seemed like I was whining and doing nothing about my situation, however, believe it or not, I was fighting my own internal battle.  I won, I triumphed and I made it home alive.  Now, as I have said I couldn't have done any of this without the support of my true friends.  Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. There is a special place inside of me for all of you.  I will make it up to you all some how for the sacrifices that you made on my behalf. I love you all and I know we will see each other again soon.

Advice, I would like to give, when you find yourself in a situation and are helpless, try not to cling to those that are helping you.  It adds weight and a burden on them that they don't necessarily deserve. I only saw this after the fact and I am so sorry for the lack of grace and dignity in which I left the situation.  I owe you all so much and I am thankful that you were there when I needed you the most.

As always my hopes and dreams are with you,

Uncle B

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there were many lessons learned by a few people. Glad that you are back and OK. Now just stay that way!

    ReplyDelete