Monday, June 4, 2012

Do something you are passionate about....

Have you ever woke up dreading having to go to work? Find that your daily routine is not only boring, but also monotonous?  If this sounds like what you are facing, and you aren't really happy in your work and home life then I would suggest that you find something that you enjoy doing and are passionate about.  I can honestly tell you that you will be happier and your stress level will be less.

You will find out how different your day will go and how much better you feel about yourself and what you are doing.  When your work life improves, your home life will improve as well.  You might ask how do I know what I love and what I am passionate about, because I don't know which way to go or what to do with my life?  The truth is at times each of us looses are way, and many of us ask ourselves repeatedly what are next steps should be and what direction we need to head in.  Admitting to yourself is the first and most important step towards moving forward and making a change.  Because when you admit to yourself that you don't know where your are at in life, and you have no idea what you should do next, you are opening up yourself up to new experiences, and new adventures.

The only reason why I am telling you this is because I am in the same spot. I am looking for a change, a  new direction and something that I can focus on.  The great thing about being in this situation is I am beginning to explore my talents, and use them in ways that I never thought possible before.  I was gifted with many talents, I can sketch, draw, sing, and dance.  My father, can draw as well, but never did anything with it.  My mother can sing and play the piano, and for years she played for our church.

My parents never encouraged me to explore my talents. I was constantly told when I was growing up that people couldn't make money in the arts and that I needed to do something that would make money.  I believed that for the longest time.  I joined the Navy straight out of high school and studied electronics there.  After I got out I did work for a time at Disney doing some animation work.  However, even though I was fond of working at Disney I realized that the pay wasn't what I thought it was going to be.  I was driving at least an hour to work and coming home from work in Orlando traffic would sometimes take up to 2 hours.  Fearing that my parents were right, that I couldn't make any money drawing, or diving head on, into the art world, I turned my back and went to school.  I got my associates degree in arts focusing on journalism, then I got an associates in science in marketing and distribution.  I still didn't have any idea what I wanted to do with my future, and I found the deadlines a tedious and sometimes grueling restriction to my writing so, I once again gave up and moved on.  This time I decided to capitalize on my associates in science degree, I went on to get my bachelor's in international marketing management, then instead of stopping there I went on to get my masters in information technology. 

 Before I graduated from college, I was offered a great job and before I knew it my career took off.  From 2000 till 2007 I spent every waking day designing and programming large scale computer systems and websites for the State of Georgia.  I did very well and was counted as an expert in my field.  I worked for 3 different Governor's and every important technological decision that was run past me, and my opinion was solicited.  I became known as an expert on web technology and xml and e-commerce and a couple of other vertical markets across the technology industry. In 2007, I ended up having to retire and go out on disability due to having another bout with cancer. Now that I am doing much better, I have no idea what direction I want my life to take.  

One thing that I have always done when I feel lost ad needed to figure out a life changing problem or situation I would write it down and look at each side of the problem.  This time when I did this I quite accidentally realized that I missed writing, that I wanted to write, and I had things to say. For years, I had denied my talents because I thought I couldn't make money at it.  Now, I write because I want to, because I feel it in my bones, and I hear a voice inside of me telling me that I need to keep going for it.  The one difference I have now is that I can do it for the sheer enjoyment of it, because I have an income from my disability pension.  There are mornings when I wake up and I sit down and I will write for hours.  Time seems to fly by so fast because I am so engrossed in what I am doing that I don't even realize it.

So you see my advice to you is to do something that you love, find a way to make it work, and if it is something that you are good at don't let anyone tell you not to do it or talk you out of it.  Because the honest truth is this, if you are good at something no matter what it is, you will make money at it.  You will become an expert in your field and people will be drawn to your enthusiasm and passion and  before you know it, your whole life will be changed.

The last thing I want to remind you is that it is never too late for you to do what it is that you have always dreamed of. No matter how old you are and what you have gone through, your talents and dreams are still there.  Guess what if it is your talent that you are wanting to explore, you are going to find out that as you have grown and gotten older so has your talent and you are probably a lot better than you were before.  Talents never go away.  So do your self a favor and take that chance and take a leap of faith and just do it. I bet you won't be sorry you did.  Keep your love and passion alive and see how your new direction changes your life, and before you know it you are going to be making big changes in your world.

As always, my hopes and dreams are with you,

Uncle B

No comments:

Post a Comment