Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thought I might take a minute and recommend some good movies to rent.

This week has been a tough week for me. For those of you who do not know, I am battling leukemia and radiation disease currently, and this has been one of the worst weeks I have had.  So besides taking some time to write in my blog and personal journal I took some time to just sit back and relax.  During my down time I rented some movies from Red Box that were very good and thought others might enjoy watching them.

I am an avid reader and since I moved to Florida I have read all 18 of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.  So I decided to start off my movie watching experience with watching the newly released One for the Money which was book one in the series.  I have to tell you that I thought the book started slow, but picked up and kept my interest through the whole series.  The movie on the other hand starred Katherine Heigl and was a blast from start to finish and kept me laughing.  Debbie Reynolds plays Stephanie Plum's grandma Mazur and is perfect for the role and gives the movie a lot of laughter and fun.  So, I would definitely recommend watching this one even if you haven't read the books.

For those of you who love to laugh and enjoy wholesome family movies then I got to tell you Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton are a hoot in the family comedy Joyful Noise.  I think you will really like the fight scene between Dolly and Latifah.  The music is pretty good too.  If you liked Sister Act or Sister Act 2 you will definitely love this movie.  For those of you who like good wholesome true stories that are suitable for the whole family then I would recommend We Bought A Zoo staring Matt Damon and Scarlett Johannson, a delightful comedy and a story about renewing family connections after a tragedy.  Another great story that touches the heart and is also based on a true life story is the story of Winter the dolphin who was injured and washed up on the shore in Clearwater FL.  The movie is called a Dolphin Tale and the story is great, any movie that can have me in tears one moment and laughing and cheering the next is definitely worth me recommending. So do yourself a favor and if you have kids this is one they will really enjoy as well.

Since I love Science Fiction I couldn't let the week go by without at least watching one or two sci-fi movies.  Newly released Underworld: Awakening, which came out on Tuesday was on my list of must see movies, so I rented it.  It wasn't too bad and we get to see Kate Beckinsale once again clad in skin tight leather.  This movie goes a long way in establishing a continuing story line for the franchise and is well worth the viewing.  I missed Kate in the third movie which was Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, and it was refreshing to have her character back to see where the story line was going to go. Another sci-fi that I enjoyed was a film called the Darkest Hour and takes a new twist on planetary invasion.  So, if you are a fan of sci-fi movies I think you will like enjoy both of these movies.

Then to round out my week long convalescence with some really great wholesome dramas that touched my heart and mind you might want to check out the two following movies.  The first was My Week with Marilyn, a romantic drama based on the true story of Marilyn Monroe when she was filming the Prince and the Showgirl in London.  I know you are all going to just love the movie like I did, and it reveals to the world how Marilyn just wanted and longed to be loved for herself.  A great movie all together and one that will also bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your heart.  The last movie in the series of movies I watched over the past week was Hugo, and it was a cute drama.  A movie that is perfect for the whole family to watch together and teaches courage, strength and following your heart and dreams at all costs, and never to give up and quit.

So if you have the time to sit down and watch some movies, here are some that come to you highly recommended.  I am sure you will agree once you have seen them that these are some really good movies.  Renting them from Red Box is really affordable and easy to do.  These days the movies cost $1.28 to rent for 24 hours, it is definitely much cheaper than watching them on pay-per-view and a lot faster than waiting for them to be released on Netflix.  You can also go to www.redbox.com and browse the latest selection of movies, new releases, and even reserve them right there so you can pick them up at the nearest red box location. If you don't know where the nearest kiosk is you can do a search on their website, very convenient and affordable.

I hope you enjoy watching movies as much as I do and if you take the time to read this little review and watch some of these movies I think you will be very happy you did.

As always my hopes and dreams are with you,

Uncle B

I use these products to copy my rentals for my own collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment