Saturday, March 7, 2015

Follow up on Aging

I know I just wrote about how aging really isn't all it is cracked up to be.  I was talking with my nephew earlier today and I was explaining to him that I couldn't remember what I had for breakfast, but I could remember everything that has happened in my past.  Even he agreed that it was hard to believe that so much time had gone by.  See, him and I went to Pennsylvania to help my mother take care of our adopted grandmother.  It is hard to believe that 5 years have gone by now.  To me it seems like it was just yesterday that we were up there.  I can remember the snow, the cold and driving my mom and her to doctors appointments.  How we would go to New York to go to the mall because that was the closest place to where my mother lived.

It is funny I was one of those people that never got sick when I was younger, and was serving in the U.S. Navy.   However, I wasn't even out of the Navy for four months when I was diagnosed with stage 4 large cell lymphoma.  Since that time my health has declined steadily over the years.  I had never had to take pills before, and now I am taking 23 in the morning and 20 at night.  It is awful having to fill up the pill box every week with all those pills. Not to mention having to take them daily.

My best friend and I also spoke tonight and he said something that caught my attention and made me think.  He said that he sees more now than he did when he was in his 20's. I think that is true, that our experiences and journey have enabled us to gather enough knowledge to finally understand what really is happening around us.  Another thing that I realized is that all the stuff that my mother scolded me about when I was growing up. The very things she told me would happen and when in my 20's I didn't believe her, I practically ignored her.  But guess what, as I got older and experienced more of life, it became clear that she was telling me the truth and was trying to save me from pain and hurt.  Too bad I didn't listen and follow her advice and instructions. See I was stubborn and had to find out the hard way.  I had to experience everything for myself, go through it and experience it for myself.

It doesn't matter who you are or what your status in life is, you are going to face the challenge of aging.  You are going to feel things that you never felt before, have pains in places that never hurt before.  Muscle mass will start to decline, and your bone density will also start to deteriorate.  Honestly the body starts to slow down and break down.  Your joints might start to hurt because you have developed arthritis.  You also start forgetting and losing memories, your concentration weakens, etc.

The one thing that remains constant is that your hindsight becomes 20/20 and you can remember stuff that you did and experienced from your past. You know exactly where you have been, you can see clearly the path you have taken.  What you can't see is what the future holds for you.  You might be able to make an educated guess by observing your past patterns.  Each of us functions in patterns and habits, so you can probably predict what and where you are going based on your past actions.  But keep in mind that the future is not set in stone, you can change your destiny by breaking your patterns or even changing your habits.

Life wears us down, our bodies slow down as we age, and our cells just can't repair all the damage that life and age has done to our bodies.  One minute you are healthy and young, and the next thing you know you blink and you are middle aged.  Close your eyes again and time will have continued and you are now old.  Our minds don't age as fast as our bodies do, like I explained in my article about Aging that I wrote a day or so ago.  Keep in mind that as you age time seems to speed up. Maybe it is because your body is slowing down. Or it just might be our perspective and how are brains receive and process things.

But the cold hard truth is that time speeds up, the body slows down, as your body starts falling apart.  I encourage you to live your life in the moment and experience life, taste the flavors, and textures of the world around you.  No matter what your age is, there is always more that you can experience and learn.  Make sure you take the time to stop and smell the roses so to speak.  Take one day at a time and remember that nobody is perfect, we are just a work in progress that continues to learn and grow every day.

Getting older is no phone for anyone.  It sometimes take a toll on your body, sometimes not.  There is no discerning of illness, it can strike anyone at any time.  Take me for example I was 23 getting ready to turn 24 when I was diagnosed with cancer and told that I only had eighteen months to live.  I never thought I would see 40, but I have and I am still going.  Be who yourself and experience life's daily miracles and watch what you eat, exercise and maybe you will stay healthy your entire life.

As always my hopes and dreams are with you,

Uncle B

No comments:

Post a Comment