Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Past is never far away

This month has been a trying and tiring month for me.  I found out the hard way that the past comes back to haunt you when you least expect it.  I started work in April for Spring Mobile an AT&T Authorized Retailer, things were going very good and I was really enjoying my job.  I was being trained as an opener and closer for the two different stores.  At one point it was even mentioned that I might be trained as an assistant manager.  But during this time home life started to get a little complicated. My friend Travis's lover got really sick and ended up in ICU at Shands Hospital in Jacksonville, FL.  I ended up having to take a couple of days off because at one point because Mario's dad flew in to see his son in the hospital.

Just a week ago, I went into work and was called into the office. The district manager came in and sat down and began talking to me.  My background check came back with some issues that he wanted to address.  I was told that there was a couple of items that showed up while GameStop was doing my background check.  I knew immediately what they were talking about.  For those of you that remember last summer back in July I got in trouble with a misdemeanor that ended up violating my probation that I was place on for cashing a bad check.  Now, it was my understanding that when I appeared before Judge Case in Daytona that this matter was finished an over with.  As a matter of fact I was sentenced to 60 days in Jail and upon completion was deemed non adjudicated.  The district manager asked me for my side of the story, I explained it to him and was told that I needed to bring in the paperwork from the court showing the dispensation of the charges.  I immediately called the public defenders office in Volusia County and within 15 minutes I was bringing them the paperwork that they had asked for.

The very first page showed the adjudication withheld status, but I was still told that I was going to be suspended till legal could look over the document and give the district manager their input as to whether or not the company was going to continue to utilize me.  I was upset and frustrated by this decision because I think that it was totally unfair and with everything else that was happening in my life with my friend Travis's lover in the hospital I certainly felt that this was the worse possible timing that could have happened.

But the rub of the story is that I was off the entire weekend and when I was actually scheduled to work, and as I was getting ready to go back to work for the following Tuesday because I saw that my name was still on the schedule. I got a call from the store manager and was told that Spring Mobile had decided to part employment.  I was very upset and sent a message to the district manager asking him to call me back and fill me in on the whole decision.  He promptly returned my call, but explained that as far as he could tell from what the legal team was telling him was that I was incorrect in my assertion that adjudication was withheld.  I was given a number to call and I called them immediately and launched an investigation and requested that more research be done on my behalf and asked for the decision be reversed.

I was told that the process would take about 2 weeks and that the employer would be notified, but here is what happened.  I was removed from all the email and chat groups, and my work email was terminated immediately. I still haven't heard back from the investigator about what was happening with my request and here it is a week later and I am gainfully unemployed and have no real prospects of anything else.

As always my hopes and dreams are with you!

Uncle B

No comments:

Post a Comment