Thursday, April 26, 2012

What is time?

Bare with me as I ramble on about my concept of time.  You may not agree, but that is what a blog is for.  Time is a man-made construct with which we govern our lives.  We practice the solar calender currently, but there have been other calenders before the solar calender, like the Mayan calender and the lunar calender etc.  But, what I want to focus on is the concept of time itself.  Earliest mans concept of time was governed by the following of the migration patterns of the animals they hunted.  They noted the season by the weather changes and climate shifts.  Remember that most of the earliest civilizations were nomadic, they followed after their prey.

As with all things societies change, grow, advance, and develop.  Man's society went from hunting and gathering to settling and growing.  Villages began to be settled when the nomadic tribes realized that by staying in a central location and gathering together they could withstand the onslaught of wild beasts, other marauding peoples.  By settling they also began to realize that they could plant what had been gathered and harvest the resulting crops.  As villages became more established the passage of time began to noticed, first in the passage of the season, the phases of the moon, the changes of the weather patterns, and eventually the migration patterns of flocks and birds.  Thus, came into being the first calenders.  These calenders were kept by the village wiseman/woman it would mark the festival days, harvest days and other rituals that were common practice at the time.

But like it or not, time is something that man created to mark the passage of the sun through the heavens, the moon phases through the season, and even the weather changes of the yearly seasons.  Time became important to the early religions, the oldest of our folklore and ingrained in our culture. As civilization advanced with the coming of the Sumerians and Egyptians, time became more important, it was also recorded for the first time in written history, and as humans our culture has propagated it continually forward.

But, time is not something that has a physical shape or form, yet it governs our very lives.  We work by it, we eat, sleep and measure it with sophisticated devices.  We have become enslaved to time.  Time has become a ritual and a bad habit most people cannot avoid. Of course we know that in our current society that our time is governed by the earths rotation, it marks our days beginning and end and the passage of months is measured by our revolution around the sun .

So here it is my friends, we created time to help us, we relied on time to tell us when the changes of the seasons would occur, when to plant our crops and harvest their fruit.  So how is it that we have become slaves to time.  That we are driven by the fear of time, that goals and plans have to be governed by time.  How is that time has become in a sense our master?  Time is a man made tool and device that should be used as a guide.  Not as a measure of our wealth or worth. Don't let time rule you..

As always my hopes and dreams are with you,

Uncle B

1 comment:

  1. As the little goblin in my video game says, Time is money friend.

    I think children are blessed in that they don't completely understand the flow of time. Summers used to seem longer when I was little. Now they fly by in the blink of an eye.

    I think us always knowing what time it is has messed with our heads. It's great and all when I need to be to work on time but what about the weekends and vacation? Just a few days ago I went half the day without looking for the time and I discovered I enjoyed my time much more. Granted I was playing a video game, but my focus and thoughts were fluid I found the game much more fun. I hate the clock telling me the time. I much prefer my leisure time to be governed by the sun disappearing outside.

    Tracking time has made planning easier but it sure makes it hard to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete